Ocotillo Design crafts engaging, mobile-responsive websites, manages comprehensive online marketing projects, and develops website content including graphics, creative and technical writing, and email campaigns.
Our Design Philosophy
Our design philosophy is simple: successful websites have a real “sense of place.”
As such, they are elegant in design and aesthetics, usability and device compatibility, and architecture and content. The best websites — those that create a virtual sense of place — inspire and therefore motivate the user to investigate the site, learn about the content, make the purchase, and return often. Sites by Ocotillo Design, incorporating our proven design process and wide array of experience, are crafted to provide that virtual sense of place.
Who is Ocotillo Design?
Ocotillo Design is the work of Simmons Buntin, website designer, editor, writer, project manager, urban planning advocate, and resident of the energy efficient, pedestrian-oriented community of Civano in southeast Tucson, Arizona. Mr. Buntin’s experience includes:
Web Design and Project Management
- Eighteen years experience as founder, editor-in-chief, and publisher of Terrain.org: A Journal of the Built + Natural Environments.
- Fifteen years experience designing, creating, managing, and marketing small business, community, artist, writer, and other websites as part of Ocotillo Design.
- Twelve years experience managing, designing, and promoting higher education websites for the University of Arizona’s Eller College of Management.
- Five years experience managing energy services-related web development projects for the U.S. Department of Energy.
- Two years experience managing and designing business-to-consumer educational software websites for Pearson Digital Learning.
- Two years experience designing business-to-business high-tech software websites for Captaris.
Content Creation and Project Management
- Nine years experience as energy services program manager for the U.S. Department of Energy, including editor of Western Area Power Administration’s Energy Services Bulletin, integrated resource planning manager, and special technical project manager.
- Assistant program associate for the U.S. Global Change Research Program.
- Planning Commissioner, City of Westminster, Colorado.
- Former Association Spokesperson (President), Civano Neighbors Neighborhood Association.
- Literary and technical publication in such forums as Environmental News Network; Bulletin of Science, Technology, and Society; Aquarium Fish Magazine; Orion; The Kyoto Journal; North American Review, and Next American City.
- Author of Unsprawl: Remixing Spaces as Places (Planetizen Press, 2013) as well as two books of poetry.
- Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing (Nonfiction), University of Arizona.
- Master of Urban and Regional Planning (1997 Outstanding Graduate), University of Colorado at Denver.
- Certificate in Energy Management, North Carolina State University.
- Bachelor of Arts in Political Science (Environmental Studies Concentration, cum laude), Auburn University.
Just as the whole is equal to more than the sum of its parts, Ocotillo Design is more than the work of Mr. Buntin. It is also our partners, our clients, our access to a wealth of website developer tools and custom themes, and our connectivity to the built and natural environments.
Why Choose Us?
You should choose Ocotillo Design for your web design, project management, and content development needs because:
- The Process. We use a proven five-phase process for website design that ensures the finished product is both what you want (even if you’re not sure what you want when you start) and the best product for your needs. This process has been used on websites large and small with great success.
- The Designs. Our websites are not overly flashy, dramatic, or theatrical — they are clean, elegant, and user-friendly. Moreover, they fit the needs of the organization or individual artist and the customer or other site visitor.
- The Tools. Ocotillo Design uses the WordPress content management system and customized themes for the majority of the websites we create. The word’s most popular and dynamic content management system, WordPress enables clients to maintain sites if they so choose from any web browser (or mobile device) after website launch.
- The Experience. Ocotillo Design has over 18 years experience designing, building, and maintaining a wide array of websites, from one-page promotions and HTML email campaigns to 1,000-page online journals. Just as importantly, we have as much experience managing website design and production as we do actually designing sites and developing graphical and narrative content. We know how to work with you to develop your best site.
- The Logical Conclusion. What do our site and portfolio tell you about Ocotillo Design? What do our testimonials say about working with us? How do our graphics and presentation feel to you? After we’ve presented the process and designs and experience, you’ll want to choose Ocotillo Design because it all fits. Together, we’ll craft your virtual sense of place.